Pakt’s 2021 Emission Report
We're proud to partner with Climate Neutral to measure our carbon footprint. Climate Neutral Certified is the leading consumer label designating carbon neutrality. It is carried by brands that have voluntarily stepped up to take responsibility for the greenhouse gas emissions generated in the production, operations, and shipping of their goods and services.
We've calculated all of the emissions that it takes to make and ship our products to your doorstep, offset it in its entirety, and made a plan to reduce our emissions moving forward.
Step 1: Calculate our carbon footprint for 2021
We measured our 2021 carbon footprint at 1074 tonnes. To arrive at this number, we looked at all of the emissions created from making and delivering our products/services, including our supply chain emissions, employees commuting, business travel, and utility bills.
Fun fact, we reached our goal from last year – from 2020 to 2021, our carbon footprint has decreased by 644 tonnes of CO2.
Step 2: Offset carbon footprint
We are offsetting our 2021 footprint by purchasing verified carbon credits, which support the following projects:
- Reforestation in Kenya in partnership with The International Small Group and Tree Planting Program (TIST), a reforestation and sustainable development program representing a community of more than 95,000 farmers, across Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and India.
- Sispara Wind Project, which generates wind energy near Maharashtra, India to reduce dependence on fossil fuel energy. This project expands renewable energy production to reduce dependence on traditional electricity sources, and stimulates local job creation.
- Solar Energy in Zhongyuan Village, Jingyuan County in the Gansu Province of China, which avoids over 125,000 tonnes of CO2e emissions annually, and has reduced the carbon intensity of the region’s power generation and has increased the diffusion of modern, clean power technology in this region.
Step 3: Create a plan to reduce future emissions
We’ve also made a plan to reduce our emissions. We are planning to explore using more eco-friendly hardware and materials, including reducing chemical harm in our supply chain. We’ll specifically be looking into DWR coating that does not produce PFCs.
- PFCs are Perfluorocarbons, potent greenhouse gasses with atmospheric lifetimes of more than 1000 years.
- DWR stands for durable water-resistant, shorthand for a coating that we (and others in the bag industry) use on most fabrics to seal the fibers from water.
We will evaluate and test at least 4 different materials and/or DWR alternatives and share our progress with our community along the way. We are also committing to planting a minimum of 250 trees in partnership with The International Small Group and Tree Planting Program.
What does it mean to be Climate Neutral Certified?
All Pakt products products bear the Climate Neutral Certified label. Climate Neutral is a nonprofit committed to solving climate change by making carbon neutrality simple and accessible. The hundreds of brands certifying this year all go through the same process to measure, offset, and reduce their emissions. Together, Climate Neutral Certified companies are working to eliminate more than 1,000,000 tonnes of carbon emissions - and we’re just getting started!
To learn more about Climate Neutral and other brands committed to climate action, visit climateneutral.org. To follow Pakt's journey towards being a responsible company, check out our Transparency Report.