Science says we have just nine years to make the changes needed to tackle climate change. Overwhelming? Yes. An opportunity? Also, yes. Climate change requires immediate action– there isn't a minute to waste when it comes to decarbonizing our planet.
Pakt is proud to announce that this Earth Day, we’re officially Climate Neutral Certified. We've spent the last three months working with Climate Neutral to measure our 2020 carbon footprint. Climate Neutral Certified is the leading consumer label designating carbon neutrality. It is carried by brands that have voluntarily stepped up to take responsibility for the greenhouse gas emissions generated in the production, operations, and shipping of their goods and services. We've calculated all of the emissions that it takes to make and ship our products to your doorstep, offset it in its entirety, and made a plan to reduce our emissions moving forward.
Step 1: Measure
Pakt emitted 1,717 tonnes of carbon dioxide in 2020. As you can see, the materials used in our products and manufacturing makes up most of our footprint.
- .5 tC02e comes from Pakt’s office facilities
- .2 tC02e is indirect emissions (which is mostly purchased electricity)
- 1716 tC02e are emissions from our supply chain, which includes emissions released from extracting raw materials for products, shipping and transport, business travel, and more.
Step 2: Offset
We have purchased verified carbon credits to offset our 2020 carbon footprint. This is a direct investment into critical carbon sequestration projects. We supported five projects focused on advancing clean cookstove use in Mali, conserving a biodiverse forest in Cambodia, supporting geothermal power generation in Indonesia, landfill methane capture in the US, and renewable energy generation in the US. Each project is independently verified, ensuring they’re effectively protecting our climate.
Step 3: Reduce
The work doesn’t stop after offsetting our carbon emissions. We have committed to make an effort to further reduce emissions in the following ways to limit climate change:
- Minimize our data storage, and seek more eco-friendly options for remaining data
- Evaluate all materials and hardware and identify reduction opportunities, including where materials are sourced in relation to production
- Seek ways to optimize product packaging to reduce volume, and eliminate additional packaging needs
- Combine production orders, or adjust production order quantities to optimize the use of shipping container volume
We’re looking forward to proudly displaying our Climate Neutral Certification on our upcoming product packaging. We hope that this step will inspire other peer brands to join in the ongoing battle against climate change, and invest in opportunities towards a healthy climate.